Fans of games which are utterly bonkers might remember Onion Soup Interactive’s Nippon Marathon which launched on Switch last year. With its roster of wacky characters and deliberately unwieldy controls, it was a hoot to play… well, for a short while at least.
Onion Soup is hoping to crowdfund the development of a sequel for Switch, known imaginatively as Nippon Marathon 2. Not only does it promise a new and improved cast of crazy characters, but there will also be a number of new silly physics abilities to boot.
Here’s a bit more info from Onion Soup on this upcoming project:
Indie dev team, Onion Soup Interactive announced today that the eagerly anticipated sequel to cult classic Nippon Marathon is coming soon to Kickstarter.
The campaign seeks to fund core development for Steam, Nintendo Switch, and an exclusive Arcade edition (published by exA-Arcadia). Stretch goals include (but not limited to) a visual novel Inspired story, as well as localisation, Steam Workshop implementation and the in-demand online mode.
Nippon Marathon 2 is the ultimate “Bakage” (Japanese for “Stupid Game”). Players race across a bizarre obstacle course until only one player remains. Skill and chaos are united in one wonderful experience. Last time you raced across Japan, this time you take on the world. This is Nippon Marathon 2 – the Brave World Tour!
– New and improved cast of crazy characters
– Silly physics abilities including the “grip” ability, grab your opponent and see what happens.
– Touka Koukan (equivalent exchange) – Players’ “popularity score” will make or break you in the Nippon Marathon; everything influences your popularity, whether that be for better or worse!
– Brand new courses set around the world including London, the USA, France and more!
– Amazing new character specific B-Moves, such as Elizabeth Nishibori’s “Unicorn Rage”
– New weapons, such as the shuriken style STAR FRUIT.
– Specific stats and animations for each character!
– All new back stories including how Snuguru Maestro became Elon Mus— wait, what?
– Minigames and Party Games return!
– An amazing soundtrack is back to soothe and/or excite your ears!
If you’re interested in seeing this crazy game potentially come to Switch, you can sign up for a notification on the Kickstarter page and back the project when it goes live. There’s no word yet on when exactly that will be, but it’ll likely be soon.
Let us know if you enjoyed the first game with a comment below.